Open communication, closed case
Successful business relationships begin with open communication. And communication starts with listening to all the things that really matter to an organization. Imperative things like people, processes, finances and data, to truly understand how an organization functions, while simultaneously identifying opportunities for enhancement.
Modus provides a full slate of eDiscovery consulting services to help law firm and corporate clients properly assess, analyze, develop and implement proactive Discovery Intelligence strategies and tactics to maximize their legal return on investment. Provided in the early stages of an engagement, Modus eDiscovery Consulting Services become the catalyst and blueprint for eventual eDiscovery work, of which can be provided in Private Cloud, Managed or Turnkey Managed services arrangements.
Scroll down or click below to view details on Modus eDiscovery Consulting Services.
- eSynthesis Assessment
- Litigation Readiness Assessment
- Risk Assessment
- Data Management
- Legal Holds
- ESI Data Mapping
Modus eSynthesis is an outcome-based assessment methodology designed to provide law firms and corporations with a detailed summary of their current litigation department operation with an actionable blueprint for improvement, scalable to client objectives and overarching legal business strategy.
By assessing the expertise, processes and technologies related to eDiscovery and litigation support functions, Modus eSynthesis can improve the business performance of corporate legal departments.
- Talent – Evaluate, define and align internal / external talent required to produce optimal program results
- Processes – Assess and design a systematic approach to every phase of the litigation and eDiscovery cycle
- Finances – Benchmark all internal / external expenses associated with litigation and eDiscovery to create a programmatic approach that reduces legal spend
- Technology – Analyze IT systems, storage, litigation hold and forensic capabilities to streamline data collection, reduce risk and expedite case knowledge
- Data Management – Assess current plan and design approach that will get to the case merits faster for legal decision making
- Internal / External Client perception – Conduct client perception gap analysis to improve overall service delivery
- Outside Counsel Alignment – Ensure outside counsel litigation support and eDiscovery services capabilities are aligned with the business goals of corporate legal department
- Actionable blueprint for improvement
- Reduce total cost of ownership
- Refine metrics to measure operations
- Alignment of outside counsel with legal business strategy
- Obtain valuable benchmarking data
- Identify case merits faster
- Make strategic decisions faster
Modus Litigation Readiness Assessment provides corporate clients with a comprehensive analysis of their present data and information landscape. Typically completed within a 60-90 day window, the Litigation Readiness Assessment analyzes potential risks, opportunities for enhancement and strategic recommendations for improvement.
- Increase awareness and understanding of eDiscovery opportunities and risks
- Minimize discovery risk by identifying gaps in current processes
- Identify cost reduction opportunities
- Reduce the risk of discovery errors, spoliation and delays
- Establish a framework for collaboration between legal, IT and records management
- ESI Data Map Assessment – report detailing current state observations, identification of critical gaps and recommendations for program development
- On Site Workshop – (1) 4-6 hour onsite workshop to present findings and assist organization with program development
Modus Risk Assessments provide organizations with a clear analysis of their present Records Management, Information Management and eDiscovery endeavors. Tailored for corporate in-house counsel and records management professionals, Modus Risk Assessment eDiscovery consulting services help identify the most significant risks and gaps, while providing a strategic roadmap for improvement.
- Provide an actionable blueprint on where, how and when to start a program
- Provide valuable information quickly to identify opportunities take immediate steps
- Provide collaborative environment to stimulate education / knowledge cross-departmentally
Modus will deliver a 15-25 page report that identifies current gaps, areas for improvement and recommendations for program development. In addition, Modus will conduct a (1) 2-4 hour on-site workshop to present and discuss recommendations.
Modus Data Management services help organizations better understand, create and implement defensible and actionable policies / procedures for managing data across their entire enterprise. Tailored for records, information management and IT professionals, Modus ESI Data Management services include; data mapping, records and information management / information governance consulting, eDiscovery consulting and data management consulting.
- Minimize potential risks associated to growing data volumes and complexities
- Provide consistent methodology for the disposal of data
- ESI Data Map – provides an inventory of the organization’s IT systems and how they are organized in visual and spreadsheet formats.
- IT Data Management Assessment Report – providing a detailed analysis of the organization’s overall data management policies and procedures, along with summary recommendations on how to optimize them
- Workshop – (1) 3-6 hour, onsite workshop to teach IT, legal and records management professionals how to identify, address and solve critical macro-level data management issues, coupled with a 5-10 page post-workshop report.
Modus Legal Hold services provide in-house legal counsel departments with an analysis of their present policies and procedures along with strategic recommendations for improvement. Modus legal, technical and RIM subject matter experts will design an optimized legal hold process to maximize defensibility while minimizing the burden of execution for employees.
- Maximize defensibility through repeatable, auditable and accurate processes that ensure legal hold are executed according to plan
- Reduce business disruption by streamlining processes and ensuring appropriate management controls are in place
- Process Design Documentation – outlining steps, processes, policies and people involved in execution
- Legal Hold Notifications – to custodians, IT, records management and other required parties Questionnaires – for custodians and non-custodians
- Consultation – process design consultation to implement automated legal hold software
Modus ESI Data Mapping services are designed to aid inside / outside counsel in developing a comprehensive, accurate understanding of an organization’s data repositories and IT infrastructure. ESI Data Mapping focuses on data sources and elements of the IT infrastructure containing ESI most likely to be subject to discovery in legal proceedings, regulatory audits or investigations.
- Provide foundation for developing a defensible eDiscovery response plan
- Provide a clear outline / blueprint of the organization’s IT infrastructure and landscape
- Create a framework for legal, IT and records management professionals to collaborate on better managing the systems which produce data
- Create a high level of awareness, understanding and involvement between typically disparate departments
Modus ESI Data Mapping Services include:
- ESI Data Map Assessments – a “baseline” ESI data map or framework which outlines and organization’s IT infrastructure at a summary level
- Tier 1 Reports – detailed narrative-style reports which explain where, how and when data is stored in critical eDiscovery-related systems
- Tier 2 Reports – comprehensive summary of IT systems deemed important, yet not critical
- Visual ESI Data Map – graphical representation of the ESI data map illustrating key facts about Tier 1 and Tier 2 systems
- Executive Summary – an overview of the organization’s ESI data map
4 – Services
ESI Data Mapping Workshop
- 3 hour on-site workshop
- Deep-dive review of ESI data mapping process tailored to the organization’s particular IT environment
- Structured dialog between Legal, RIM, IT and appropriate business stakeholders facilitated by the nation’s
- leading ESI data mapping consultant
- Minimal pre-workshop preparation required
- Provided for a flat fee
ESI Data Mapping Seminar
- 1.5 day on-site program
- Includes 20 hours consulting
- Detailed review of Modus proprietary ESI data mapping processes and procedures
- Pre-seminar analysis of IT landscape and Tiering recommendations
- Tier 1 systems briefings
- Access and single use license to Modus ESI Data Mapping Toolkit and example reports
- Provided for a flat fee
ESI Data Mapping Assessment
- Preliminary analysis of IT landscape and litigation / discovery profile
- Tiering of systems
- Mini interviews to gather high-level information about Tier 1 and Tier 2 systems (except e-mail)
- Full mapping of e-mail and associated systems (backup, smartphones, unified messaging, etc.)
- Creation of ESI Data Map Framework/Proposed ESI Data Map
- Detailed budget for full ESI data mapping
- Provided for a flat fee
ESI Data Mapping Turnkey Projects
- Conduct analysis and review of current IT landscape and litigation / discovery profile
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to assign IT systems to Tiers
- Conduct information gathering activities
- Analyze and validate data gathered
- Create ESI data map reports
- Provided on a flat fee or hourly basis